A man who killed a 12 year old boy in a hit and run outside a school has been detained indefinitely under the Mental Health Act

A man who killed a 12 year old boy in a hit and run outside a school has been detained indefinitely under the Mental Health Act

Terence Glover, 52, admitted manslaughter by diminished responsibility last year

Terence Glover, 52, was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court today after admitting manslaughter by diminished responsibility last year. 

Harley Watson died after a vehicle ploughed into several children outside Debden Park High School, in Loughton, Essex, on December 2, 2019. 

He was rushed to Whipps Cross University Hospital in east London but didn’t survive. 

Glover was given a hospital order under section 45a of the Mental Health Act of 1983, meaning that if his illness is treated successfully, he will be moved to prison.

Judge Andrew Edis said that if transferred, Glover must serve a life sentence with a minimum of 15 years. 

Prosecutor Christine Agnew said eyewitnesses saw Glover’s car ‘ploughing through and hitting children from behind’ as they walked away from the school. 

She added: ‘It is clear from both from the evidence and from Mr Glover’s pleas of guilty, that he deliberately mounted the pavement… and drove directly at a group of people, mostly children, intending to kill them.’

Harley Watson, 12, died after being hit by a vehicle outside his school on December 2, 2019

Emergency services at the scene in December 2019 after the fatal crash which also injured several others

Glover also pleaded guilty to charges of attempted murder, relating to Raquel Jimeno, 23, and six boys and three girls aged between 12 and 16, who cannot be named for legal reasons. 

They were all injured in the incident outside the school. Glover also admitted driving a Ford Ka dangerously in Willingale Road, Loughton. 

He had previously denied a charge of murder, which Miss Agnew said the crown accepted and this had been explained to Harley’s parents. 

She added Glover had ‘suffered an abnormality of the mind’ at the time of the incident. 

Harley’s mother, who attended court with her partner, sat in the public gallery and cried as Glover the pleas were made in November.

At the sentencing today, Harley’s family said he was a ‘kind, caring, selfless, intelligent and comical young man’. 

The family had previously paid an emotional tribute to their beloved son after the fatal crash. 

They said: ‘We are so devastated by what has happened. Harley was a good, kind, helpful and lovely boy. We would like to thank everyone for their kind wishes and concern. However as a family we would like people to respect our privacy and allow us to grieve in peace.’ 

Glover was sentenced after psychiatrists gave evidence to the court today.

Originally published on Metro